Farming in an NVZ can sometimes prove challenging. Certain operations will be governed by regulations, including demonstrating adequate slurry storage capacity and restrictions over times of year when organic manures can be applied to land.
Is my farm in an NVZ?
Click here to access MAGIC, a web based interactive service that maps all the NVZ areas of England. Select interactive map, enter your postcode and select Rural Designations – Statutory from the drop down menu to check your farm
My farm is in an NVZ, what must I do?
- Do not apply more N than your crops require – there are limits within NVZs on the amount of N from livestock manure and manufactured N fertiliser you can use
- Plan your N use before making any applications
- Do not exceed a loading of 170kg total N content per ha per year (N/ha/year) from livestock manures averaged over the total area of your farm. This includes manure applied by spreading and manure deposited by grazing animals
- Comply with closed periods for spreading organic manures and manufactured N fertiliser
- Provide adequate storage capacity for livestock manures. You should have sufficient storage in place by 1 Jan 2012 at the latest
- Requirements are 5monhts slurry storage for cattle slurry and 6 months for pig slurry
- Keep records of the N applied to each of your fields and some records and calculations relating to your farm as a whole. You must keep all records for at least 5 years
- Produce a risk map for any land where you intend to spread organic manures
- If you are a grassland based system, with at least 80% of your fields to grass you may be elgible to apply for a derogation from the 170kgN/ha/year to 250kgN/ha/year
- For more information please read leaflet 5a
- To apply for an NVZ derogation online click here
- Alternatively, you can apply by telephone or get a paper application form by calling the Environment Agency’s Derogation Line on 0845 603 3113.
Source: Net Regs
Further help and advice
For more information on aspects of NVZs, please contact the Environment Agency on 01392 442082, or see below to download the farmer guidance booklets
- Leaflet 1 – Summary of the guidance for farmers in NVZs
- Leaflet 2 – Implementing the rules – scope, timing & enforcement
- Leaflet 3 – Standard values, manure sampling protocol & glossary **
- Leaflet 4 – Storage of organic manure
- Leaflet 5 – The livestock manure N farm limit
- Leaflet 5a – The derogated livestock manure N farm limit
- Leaflet 6 – Planning N use
- Leaflet 7 – The N max limit
- Leaflet 8 – Field application of organic manures
- Leaflet 9 – Field application of manufactured N fertiliser
** In NVZ leaflet 3, table 8 the livestock manure efficiencies are to be increased for cattle slurry from 35% to 40% and for pig slurry from 45% to 50% for 1st January 2014.
Confused by NVZ’s and what you need to do to comply? Take the NVZ self assessment test to assess your farming practices against the requirements of the legislation. Click here to read the story of a farmer’s journey to comply with NVZ regulations